NAME THE NEWSLETTER CONTEST!
The Chapter is sponsoring a “Name the ALBUMOAA Newsletter” contest! Our newsletter has never had a name, and it is time to give it the recognition it deserves! Email your entry to email@example.com not later than 06 February 2020 to enter. The Albuquerque MOAA Board of Directors will select the winning entry at the 07 February Board meeting. The winner will receive a $25 gift card! One entry per person, only, please. Look for the winning entry in the March – April 2020 edition of the newsletter!
Here are a few helpful suggestions for selecting a name:
The name should be relatively short – two to three words. It needs to fit on the masthead of the current newsletter.
It should express a relationship to our mission.
It should be unique. We want our newsletter to have a title that is easily identifiable with our Chapter.
If you have a design in mind for the name (e.g., a certain font), submit that as well, but it is not required.
Be creative! A creative submission will be favored over another that may hit all these points but is not as unique.
The Albuquerque Chapter was recently notified by MOAA National that it was selected to receive, both, the 2018 Five-Star Levels of Excellence Award and the Colonel Marvin J. Harris Communications Award.
Thank you to all of the dedicated members who made receipt of these awards possible.
To be recognized as the leading Military Service Organization in central New Mexico, supporting and giving a voice to military retirees, surviving spouse, and veterans of all services.
To all Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retirees, Surviving Spouses, Ex-Officers – All Services
These are just some of the many reason for being a member of the Albuquerque Chapter of MOAA:
(1) You will receive every issue of the award winning chapter Albumoaa newsletter, so you can stay abreast of what is happening locally.
(2) You will feel the pride in your local 501(c)(3) Chapter’s Charitable Giving Program, which includes giving ROTC Awards and contributing to the Blue Star Mothers, Gold Star Mothers, VA Hospital, High School JROTC programs, Honor Flight and more.
(3) You will be supporting the Chapter’s Legislative lobbying efforts for New Mexico income tax relief for military retiree pensions and more.
(4) If you chose, you can be placed on an E-mail list to receive the latest National Legislative activity news effecting you and your family – with information of what action you can take to help.
(5) You will be able to participate in our Breakfast, Tours and Ski Club activities.
(6) You will join in the fun when the Chapter has its annual Membership Appreciation Party.
(7) You will meet and enjoy some of the finest and friendliest people in the country and have the comradeship of associating with people with interests like yours.
We want all veterans, not just retired officers, and patriots who are interested in our programs to become active in our chapter. For an ABQ Chapter, MOAA Membership Application, click Join (at the top) & Submit or click on this link: Join ABQ Chapter and mail in your application today. The current year’s Membership is FREE for Regular & Surviving Spouses, if you check the box expressing your willingness to receive the newsletter only electronically.
THE ABQ CHAPTER HAS INITIATED A $2000 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Who is eligible for the scholarship? —
• Children, grandchildren and great grandchildren – natural and adopted, of current dues-paying members, Regular and Surviving Spouse – who have belonged to our Chapter for at least two (2) years.
• US Citizen
• Enrolled in senior (graduating) year of high school
What are the considerations for selection?
• GPA/SAT/ACT Scores
• Outside activities
• Community service
• Leadership roles
• Writing ability
• Good representative of the military community
• Acceptance of an offer to attend an accredited college or university
Who determines the winner?
Scholarship Committee evaluates applicants and provide recommendation the Chapter Board
Final approval rests with the Chapter Board of Directors
Applications Due – 1 May
Evaluation – 1 June
Board approval – June Board meeting
Announcement – following Board approval
In order to access the scholarship application, log into the albumoaa.org website, click on the “Members Only” link then, click on the “College Scholarship” link for the application.
Proposed Exemption of Personal Income Tax (PIT) for Certain Veterans, Military Retirees, and Widows of Retirees—Economic Boon for New Mexico
Several years ago, Congress enacted the “Post 9-11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act,” which provides financial assistance to those the tens of thousands who leave the military services and seek college educations on their road to future success. This generous program offers qualifying veterans up to 36 months of almost fully paid college tuition, housing allowances, book, and fees—a total of $52,000 per veteran. New Mexico needs to provide incentives to encourage many former service men and women to come to our state for their education, bringing with them the Federal funded stipends that will be spent in New Mexico, producing badly needed economic development and increased tax revenues. An income tax exemption should be granted to recently separated military men and women who are enrolled in our colleges and universities.
Similarly, New Mexico could attract many more of the total 60,000 military people who retire each year by granting income tax exemptions to entice them to come to New Mexico to begin a second career. They are mature, patriotic, and law-abiding citizens who bring talent and a tradition of hard work to our state. Retirees in particular bring Federal funded retired pay to enhance economic development and add to tax revenues. Many start new businesses. Additionally, they impose no burdens on any state benefits programs, since they have health services as a part of their retirement benefits. Retirees’ widows or widowers should likewise be encouraged to stay in New Mexico by extending such exemptions to their Survival Benefit Program and other Federal earnings.
Contact your State legislators to urge them to support personal income tax exemptions for veterans enrolled in colleges, military retirees, and widows of retired military personnel. Use this link to find your legislator:http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/legislator_search.aspx
Your MOAA Chapter has supported the New Mexico Veterans Memorial in many ways over the years. One of the volunteer services that members have performed is to act as Greeters, staffing the front desk at the Memorial on the first Monday of each month and the fifth Thursday of each month that has five Thursdays. The times are from 9am until noon, and noon until 3pm.
Please contact Clint Whisonant at Home 505-299-4836 and Cell 505- 410-1417 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.