2022 Albuquerque Chapter MOAA’s Annual Meeting/Election/Donations – October, 16, 2022 –
GOOD NEWS!! MOAA NOW HAS A NEW BREAKFAST CLUB CHAIR: CPT TOM DAWE!
We’re hoping to get at least 25 participants!! So please come out & join us on Tuesday, January 17, 2023!!
To be recognized as the leading Military Service Organization in central New Mexico, supporting and giving a voice to military retirees, surviving spouse, and veterans of all services.
To all Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retirees, Surviving Spouses, Ex-Officers – All Services
These are just some of the many reason for being a member of the Albuquerque Chapter of MOAA:
(1) You will receive every issue of the award winning chapter Albumoaa newsletter, so you can stay abreast of what is happening locally.
(2) You will feel the pride in your local 501(c)(3) Chapter’s Charitable Giving Program, which includes giving ROTC Awards and contributing to the Blue Star Mothers, Gold Star Mothers, VA Hospital, High School JROTC programs, Honor Flight and more.
(3) You will be supporting the Chapter’s Legislative lobbying efforts for New Mexico income tax relief for military retiree pensions and more.
(4) If you chose, you can be placed on an E-mail list to receive the latest National Legislative activity news effecting you and your family – with information of what action you can take to help.
(5) You will be able to participate in our Breakfast, Tours and Ski Club activities.
(6) You will join in the fun when the Chapter has its annual Membership Appreciation Party.
(7) You will meet and enjoy some of the finest and friendliest people in the country and have the comradeship of associating with people with interests like yours.
We want all veterans, not just retired officers, and patriots who are interested in our programs to become active in our chapter. For an ABQ Chapter, MOAA Membership Application, click Join (at the top) & Submit or click on this link: Join ABQ Chapter and mail in your application today. The current year’s Membership is FREE for Regular & Surviving Spouses, if you check the box expressing your willingness to receive the newsletter only electronically.
In 2022 the Tiered Exemption of Personal Income Tax (PIT) on Military Retiree Pay passed the legislature and was signed by the Governor
In 2022 after over 20 years of efforts by NM MOAA and other Military/Service Organizations a tiered implementation of the Personal Income Tax Exemption for Military Retirees passed the legislature and was signed by the governor.
We want to thank all the members of the various organizations under the leadership of the Legislative Team of the Military/Veterans Leadership Council and the champions in the legislature, Rep Harry Garcia, Senators Burt and Pope for getting this legislation passed. Especially we want to thank our own David Coulie for carrying the ball on this for over 15 years.
The legislation contains a tiered implementation:
Tax Year 2022: $10,000 Exemption
Tax Year 2023: $20,000 Exemption
Tax Year 2024 – 26: $30,000 Exemption.
MOAA and the MVLC Team are already working with the Interim House/Senate Military & Veterans Affairs Committee to:
Thank you to All who worked on this,
LTC Walter Paul (USA Ret)
Past President & Legislative Chair
NOTE: Page 16 of the below linked legislation has the pertinent language for the PIT
Your MOAA Chapter has supported the New Mexico Veterans Memorial in many ways over the years. One of the volunteer services that members have performed is to act as Greeters, staffing the front desk at the Memorial on the first Monday of each month and the fifth Thursday of each month that has five Thursdays. The times are from 9am until noon, and noon until 3pm.
Please contact Clint Whisonant at Home 505-299-4836 and Cell 505- 410-1417 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.