Don’t miss the 2019
New Mexico State MOAA Convention
at the brand new Santa Ana Casino Hotel
(Rio Rancho/Bernalillo, NM)
26 – 27 April 2019
Put it on your Calendar Today
Held in conjunction with the Nation Guard Association of New Mexico State Convention
More information as we get closer to the Event
“I never knew all the wins in Congress that MOAA has achieved for our Active Duty, Reserve, National Guard, Retirees and Surviving Spouses until I heard Lt Gen Atkins explain it. I was not a National MOAA Member but now I am” Col Sykes, USAF (Ret)
Albuquerque MOAA Chapter was awarded the 2017 – Five Star Level of Excellence Award (highest available) at Regional Convention in Phoenix Arizona (1 Nov 2018)
Thank you to all the dedicated members who made this Award possible.
To be recognized as the leading Military Service Organization in central New Mexico, supporting and giving a voice to military retirees, surviving spouse, and veterans of all services.
Why Join MOAA – view the Video
To all Active Duty, Guard, Reserve, Retirees, Surviving Spouses, Ex-Officers – All Services
These are just some of the many reason for being a member of the Albuquerque Chapter of MOAA:
(1) You will receive every issue of the award winning chapter Albumoaa newsletter, so you can stay abreast of what is happening locally.
(2) You will feel the pride in your local 501(c)(3) Chapter’s Charitable Giving Program, which includes giving ROTC Awards and contributing to the Blue Star Mothers, Gold Star Mothers, VA Hospital, High School JROTC programs, Honor Flight and more.
(3) You will be supporting the Chapter’s Legislative lobbying efforts for New Mexico income tax relief for military retiree pensions and more.
(4) If you chose, you can be placed on an E-mail list to receive the latest National Legislative activity news effecting you and your family – with information of what action you can take to help.
(5) You will be able to participate in our Breakfast, Tours and Ski Club activities.
(6) You will join in the fun when the Chapter has its annual Membership Appreciation Party.
(7) You will meet and enjoy some of the finest and friendliest people in the country and have the comradeship of associating with people with interests like yours.
We want all veterans, not just retired officers, and patriots who are interested in our programs to become active in our chapter. For an ABQ Chapter, MOAA Membership Application, click Join (at the top) & Submit or click on this link: Join ABQ Chapter and mail in your application today. The current year’s Membership is FREE for Regular & Surviving Spouses, if you check the box expressing your willingness to receive the newsletter only electronically.
THE ABQ CHAPTER HAS INITIATED A $2000 SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Who is eligible for the scholarship? —
• Children, grandchildren and great grandchildren – natural and adopted, of current dues-paying members, Regular and Auxiliary – who have belonged to our Chapter for at least two (2) years.
• US Citizen
• Enrolled in senior (graduating) year of high school
What are the considerations for selection?
• Outside activities
• Community service
• Leadership roles
• Writing ability
• Good representative of the military community
• Acceptance of an offer to attend an accredited college or university
Who determines the winner?
Scholarship Committee evaluates applicants and provide recommendation the Chapter Board
Final approval rests with the Chapter Board of Directors
Applications Due – 1 May
Evaluation – 1 June
Board approval – June Board meeting
Announcement – following Board approval
Click on College Scholarship (left-hand column) for application. You must be logged in as a Chapter Member (bottom, left-hand column) to have access to this information.
Proposed Exemption of Personal Income Tax (PIT) for Certain Veterans, Military Retirees, and Widows of Retirees—Economic Boon for New Mexico
Several years ago, Congress enacted the “Post 9-11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act,” which provides financial assistance to those the tens of thousands who leave the military services and seek college educations on their road to future success. This generous program offers qualifying veterans up to 36 months of almost fully paid college tuition, housing allowances, book, and fees—a total of $52,000 per veteran. New Mexico needs to provide incentives to encourage many former service men and women to come to our state for their education, bringing with them the Federal funded stipends that will be spent in New Mexico, producing badly needed economic development and increased tax revenues. An income tax exemption should be granted to recently separated military men and women who are enrolled in our colleges and universities.
Similarly, New Mexico could attract many more of the total 60,000 military people who retire each year by granting income tax exemptions to entice them to come to New Mexico to begin a second career. They are mature, patriotic, and law-abiding citizens who bring talent and a tradition of hard work to our state. Retirees in particular bring Federal funded retired pay to enhance economic development and add to tax revenues. Many start new businesses. Additionally, they impose no burdens on any state benefits programs, since they have health services as a part of their retirement benefits. Retirees’ widows or widowers should likewise be encouraged to stay in New Mexico by extending such exemptions to their Survival Benefit Program and other Federal earnings.
Contact your State legislators to urge them to support personal income tax exemptions for veterans enrolled in colleges, military retirees, and widows of retired military personnel. Use this link to find your legislator:http://www.nmlegis.gov/lcs/legislator_search.aspx
Your MOAA Chapter has supported the New Mexico Veterans Memorial in many ways over the years. One of the volunteer services that members have performed is to act as Greeters, staffing the front desk at the Memorial on the first Monday of each month and the fifth Thursday of each month that has five Thursdays. The times are from 9am until noon, and noon until 3pm.
Please contact Clint Whisonant at Home 505-299-4836 and Cell 505- 410-1417 or email: email@example.com.